Finding the British Library, Boston Spa
Reading Room opening times
Mon - Fri: 09.00 - 16.30*
Sat & Sun: Closed
*Last requests 15.30 (Standard retrieval times - 9.30, 10.30, 11.30, 13.30, 14.30 & 15.30)
The British Library
York and Leeds Stations are both about 30 minutes away by car or taxi.
- From Leeds and Harrogate there is a limited service to Walton Corner and Thorp Arch Trading Estate (Services 770 and 771 - Harrogate & District, Tel: + 44 (0)1423 56 60 61)
- From York there is one daily return service (Service 412 - Arriva, Tel: +44 (0)113 245 7676)
- From Leeds: follow A58 to the large roundabout at Wetherby, straight on (2nd exit) to the small roundabout, turn right (3rd exit) across bridge over A1 towards Walton. About 2 miles along this road, turn right following the signs to the British Library.
From the A1, northbound: take the Boston Spa [A659] turn-off following signs for Wetherby, turn left [1st exit] to smaller roundabout, turn right [3rd exit] and follow on towards Wetherby . At roundabout, take 3rd exit. Follow straight ahead to small roundabout and turn right [3rd exit] following the signs to the British Library.
- From the A1, southbound: take the Wetherby and York exit [B1224]. This immediately brings you onto a large roundabout. Take the fourth exit, signposted for Wetherby then proceed ¼ of a mile and turn left at the next roundabout, which takes you onto the A168, heading for Wetherby. Proceed for a mile, going straight over the next two roundabouts. At the third roundabout, take the first exit, signposted for Walton and Tadcaster, which takes you back over the A1. Proceed for 2 miles – once you pass the sign for Walton village, you will see the British Library [and Thorp Arch Estate] signposted on the right.
- From York: follow the A64 to Tadcaster, leaving the A64 at the A659 to Tadcaster. Turn right at the first set of traffic lights, following the signs to Wighill. Continue on Wighill Lane and turn left just before entering Wighill village (junction by Wighill Church) to Thorp Arch. Follow this road for about 2 miles and turn left following the signs to the British Library.
Car parking facilities for the public on site and a covered area for bicycles