The following guidance notes will help you complete the permission application form.
- Always quote the Picture Library or Reproductions reference numbers if you have recent copies.
- Supply details of the item(s) to be reproduced by giving the following information:
- British Library shelfmark
- Original reference/source
- Author, title and date of original item.
- The size the image will appear in the proposed project for example - A4 size, ¼ page etc.
- Provide enough information for the planned usage of the item(s) as follows:
- Proposed title of project
- Print run/duration
- Location of image - for example book cover, front of packaging
- Which countries it will be reproduced in, what are the language and territorial rights
- Any other relevant information to the usage
- The date of publication or date when the image will be reproduced (please ensure this is at least 6 months before application).
- All Permissions requests are subject to accepting the Library's Terms and Conditions.
- All permissions are non-exclusive and usage(s) are as stated on the invoice.
- Copyright of all photographs and other copies remain with the British Library.
- If items requested are in copyright permission will not be given until the Licensor has sought permission from the copyright holder in writing.