Entrance Hall, British Library
There is a permanent exhibition area for our Philatelic Collections, where you can discover some of the world's rarest and most significant stamps.
The Philatelic Exhibition of 80,000 items on the upper ground floor offers a unique opportunity to see many of the great rarities in an exhibition The British Library Philatelic Rarities. In association with the exhibition a book The British Library Treasures in Focus Stamps has been published and is available from the Shop.
Currently on show are:
- The Tapling Collection World to 1890; exhibited are countries M to Z on 2400 pages (countries A to L are available to researchers by appointment)
- The Mosely Collection of British Africa to 1935
- The Bojanowicz Collection of Poland 1939-46 stamps and postal history
- The Model Collection of Germany 1945-46 local provisional stamps
- The Harrison Collection of die proofs 1911-37, engraved by J.A.C. Harrison
- The Davies Collection of Libyan revenue stamps 1955-69
- The Fitz Gerald Collection of World Airmails to the 1930s (selected pages)
- The Bailey Collection of Spanish Civil War stamps and postal history 1936-39 (selected pages)
- The Turner Collection of Great Britain and Ireland Railway Letter Stamps 1891-1940 (selected pages)
- The Langmead Collection of Great Britain and Ireland Telegraph stamps, 1851-81